Friday, March 16, 2012

Dinner : Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls

Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls
Ahhh, corned beef......it brings back a fond memory of my father taking me to Rito's Bakery in Cleveland to get the tastiest corned beef sandwich ever.  The corned beef was juicy and topped with a tangy cole slaw within two slices of fresh sourdough bread (I can smell it now)......this is where the love affair began.


With St. Patrick's Day right around the corner I had to get my corned beef fix on so I created this recipe the other night.  This was the first time I made it and it was on a totally whim but I turned out great so I feel confident to share. Maksim gave it two baby thumbs up too (but really, what doesn't this kid eat?)


Our Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls Recipe
1-2 lbs cooked corned beef (bake according to instructions, seasoning should be included)
1 chopped onion
6-8 medium potatoes
20 cabbage leaves (large enough so you can create roll)
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbsp. salted butter
1 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
1 tsp. horseradish
salt and pepper to taste
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Saute chopped onions in pan until soft. Set aside.
  3. Peel and boil potatoes.  Boil until a fork can easily break up the potato.  Drain potatoes and put into mixing bowl.
  4. Add milk, butter, horseradish, salt, and pepper to potatoes. Mix together (I use a hand mixer, I like my potatoes whipped). Then fold in onions and parsley.  Set aside. 
  5. Roughly cut cooked corned beef into small pieces.  Set aside.
  6. Boil water in large pot.  Add cabbage leaves and boil for 3-4 minutes so the leaves soften.  I was able to add about 5 cabbage leaves at a time into my boiling pot.  Set cabbage leaves aside.  No not throw boiled water away!
  7. Assemble the cabbage rolls.  Take one cabbage leaf and add a dollop of potato mixture and about 3-4 pieces corned beef. Tuck in the sides of the cabbage leaf and roll.  Set in bake pan. Repeat assembly with the rest of cabbage leaves.
  8. Once you have all your cabbage leaves in the pan use the boiled water from step 4 and pour over the cabbage rolls so the they are slightly submerged in the water.  
  9. Place pan into oven and cook for 25-30 minutes.
  10. Serve with a side of mustard.  Bon Appetit!
Love, 
First Gen Fam


2 comments:

  1. I feel like I ned to comment on EVERYTHING, since I sample the food first hand. This was so freaking tasty. Corned Beef w/Mashed potatoes in one bite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really yummy, in my country we something like this and it's one of my favorite dishes :).

    You have a really cool blog here. Do you want to follow each other, I would love that.
    Tereza
    http://drastic-plastic-fantastic-plastic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete