Sunday, April 1, 2012

Merry Birthday to my Aunt Mika

Merry Birthday to to my Aunt Mika.  She is my by far my favorite aunt.  I grew up with her and she is like a second mother.  Sadly she is leaving San Diego tomorrow to go back home to Cleveland.  This past month that she has been here has been a mini vacation for me due to all the help she provided with cooking, cleaning and most importantly with Maksim.

My fondest memory of Mika is her taking me to MayCompany where she worked in the fur department back in the 80s.  We took the bus downtown which was such an adventure to me at a young age.  A stop at a bakery and a fresh donut in hand we headed work.  The 80s was pure opulence.  The workroom was filled with fur coats made out of chinchilla, mink, fox, etc. all that my aunt worked on.  The showroom did not have a shortage of rich ladies with overly coifed hair trying on coat after coat.  Mika would sit me down with a box of rhinestone buttons in the workroom and I would look through them for hours and pick the shiniest ones to take home with me (shhhh).  After working hard on some pages out of my Care Bears coloring book we would break for lunch.  Lunch included a trip to the Disney Store.  I would get to pick something small out that would be cherished for years.   We would  return back to MayCompany where I did some more coloring and rummaging while my aunt sewed away.  The day would finish back on the bus with smiles on our faces as we watched the city fly by.

Mika has the kindest heart out there is the most hard working and unselfish person I know.  If I turn out half as good of a person as Mika then I will be very lucky.

Some fun facts about my Aunt Mika:
  • When she cooks she makes an over abundance of food.  For 2 people she will make a spread for 15.  Never a lack of food.
  • She tailors all my clothes.  I really should learn to do it myself but she has spoiled me.
  • If you don't like tiramisu.....trust me you will love Mika's tiramisu.
  • All kids naturally love her.  
  • She loves stripes.  
  • She does not use an alarm clock.  She can wake herself up at any time of night.  I think its a super human power if you ask me.
Thank you Mika for all your help and we will miss you!!!!  Love you too much!!!!

Love,
First Gen Fam

No comments:

Post a Comment