Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Suggestions When Traveling with a Toddler




We recently came back from a trip from Cleveland.  We headed back to my home town to visit with family and go to my best friend's wedding in Pittsburgh.  In this post I am going to focus on what I found to be helpful when flying with a toddler.  These are helpful tips that worked for me but keep in mind every kid is different.  


We desperately tried to keep the munchkin from taking his afternoon nap which kind of worked since he only slept a little bit on the way to the airport.  On our first flight, San Diego to Denver, he pretty much slept the whole time.  The flight from Denver to Cleveland he was up and wide awake.  When I say "up" it means he was running on a full tank of gas as if he took a shot of 5-hour energy.  


Here are my helpful tips when traveling with a toddler (or at least with Maksim):

  • Moms, where your hair up, back, or however you can keep the little ones from making you look like you didn't brush your hair for months
  • Bring snacks.  All kinds because you never know what they may be in the mood for.  I brought chocolate too.  I know it's not the best but it's better than a screaming toddler!
  • If you need milk, water, or juice for your toddler ask right when you get on the plane.  That way you do not have to wait until the beverage cart comes around.
  • If possible don't let your toddler know there is an aisle or that they can get out.  You give them that option then that is probably where you will have to hang out for most of the flight.
  • Head phones!  Not yours of course but the free ones the flight attendants give out.  I gave some to Maksim and he played with them for hours by plugging them in and out.  He broke them within 5 minutes but still had fun with them.
  • Download games, movies, shows, on your phone, ipad, laptop whatever.   I downloaded everything in advance of the trip.  We are Mickey Mouse obsessed in our home so that show was a must!  See below for toddler apps that I recommend and are free!!!  

My Fav Free Toddler Apps
When I was first looking for games or shows to download on my iphone I had a really hard time.  Most were too advanced for 1-2 year olds but with much trial and error I found these free ones that I love:

Fun songs and interactive elements and sound effects are activated when touching the screen.  Maksims says "balloon" whenever he sees my phone because this app has floating balloons he can pop.   
















Pick up the phone, Elmo’s calling! Receive video calls, audio calls, and voicemail from Sesame Street’s own furry, red monster.  Really cute!
















Dance Star Mickey lets you to be his dance instructor! Create your own dance for Mickey and see if he really is a dancing star.  The music gets Maksim so excited.  It's basically a stuffed toy of Mickey Mouse dancing around.  Hey, but it makes my little guy smile!
















Don't ask how I found this.  It's all in Korean so I really cannot give an explanation of the app.  There are short songs and bright, colorful cartoons which Maksim really enjoys.  He might end up speaking Korean? Sometimes his jibber-jabber sounds like another language, who knows.















Simple game full of 24 different authentic animal sounds and 12 different vehicle sounds. When your toddler taps on an animal or vehicle icon, the game will verbally announce what type of animal or vehicle it is and play a recording of its real sound.  


















Enjoy and happy traveling!  Up next, photos from our trip!

Love,
First Gen Fam

3 comments:

  1. I need you to be my personal advisor on all things children when I get pregnant. How much will you charge? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! Trust me I don't know it all just trying to figure out raising a kid as I go!

      Delete